As soon as the Ottoman sultans had conquered Constantinople from the Roman emperors in 1453 AD, they began to build themselves a great new palace, which is now called the Topkapi. Work on the Topkapi palace began in 1459 AD.
One part was the Tiled Pavilion, which was a smaller house where the Sultan could live when he wanted to get away from everyone at court. Inside, the house is shaped like a cross, with rooms in each arm of the cross and a small dome over the middle. The walls were covered with clay tiles. It has a big porch in front where the Sultan could sit and watch his sons play polo in the courtyard.